By the time we started to discuss this project we were already working on other products that were part of complex system. Android application for driver's, client's Android and IOS apps, client's website and Administration tools.
Diving deeper into the project we've realised that we can't integrate this new products with existing solution.
Old system was unscalable, rigid and inflexible. We could spend years integrating it with new parts of the system and never succeed. It was too risky. So after an RnD we decided to develop a new solution.
Firstly, we had to understand the existing workflows as entire system was created specially for that client. At the very beginning of our work we went to the client and spent a whole day examining the way call-center works.
Next few days we spent analyzing information, creating storyboards and backlog. To define and prioritize our backlog we used Intercom framework Jobs-to-be-Done and created job-stories to better understand our users.
Together with our client we've defined the most valuable features and started to create first prototypes.
Design & Prototyping
The next step was to get the call-center up and running. Over 100 pages were created to get the optimal interface. We've created and tested together with key users 3 versions of the system.
First approach:­ redesigning and optimizing existing interface. We tried to keep page pattern similar to the previous call-center interface to create familiar work environment for the users. After a few UX tests recognized that it is too hard to focus both on incoming calls and cars in search. Response timer increased dramatically. So we moved forward.
We decided to decrease number of workspaces on the screen. New calls and existing car searches are now in one screen area. All request settings in the other. It is easier to control ongoing situation. We improved response time metrics and number of requests processed by one operator.
Two weeks after launch we decided to visit our client and get a live feedback. First thing we noticed:­ it is very hard to work a long time in front of the screen. Request form felds were too soft. We decided to improve request working area by changing colour scheme and UI elements.
In parallel with UX and UI improvements we worked hard to improve web-app stability and fail tolerance.
To track system stability we integrated Sentry and Fabric.
Next challenge was to make informative easy-to-read order card. Apart from information about the client we had to track live driver’s location, have opportunity to send message or call to a driver.
Apart from call-center operators there is a supervisor user in the system. Supervisors are tracking problems connected to orders, control scheduled orders and resolve conflict situations. We created a special supervisor panel to control all the issues.